[at-l] Enhancing the AT Blaze

On Tuesday, March 16, 2004 12:11 PM, Skylander wrote:
<snip>
I remember some Thru-Hikers of the AT talk about hiking at night.  Would it
not be a help for Hikers to have these "glass beaded tacks" in the center of
the white blaze?  Would this be helpful to night hikers?
</snip>

As I hiked in Congaree Swamp National Park near Columbia, S.C. a couple
weeks ago I notice the park service is using a reflective blaze, almost like
a highway marker.

Once you get off the boardwalk, the trail can be a little ill-defined in
places because the terrain is so flat and occasionally floods. Without
blazes it's easy to get lost. I seemed to me as I was hiking that the
reflective blazes could be helpful at night, even essential, and perhaps a
lifesaver.

-jns

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.
- Steven Wright