[at-l] re: SNAFU

>>This whole issue is not unlike the issue of what
>>acronyms (such as SNAFU) mean.  There are folk who
>>use them in "polite company" who would never have,
>>had they know the original meaning, or the most
>>commonly communicated meaning.

What is funny, is that snafu is now a word that is
being used regularly. Have heard it on the news, from
"professionals",etc.

I must confess to using it in every day language. Why?
Because it is a term most people understand to mean
"chaotic, not going to plan". Though, I do know what
the word actually means. :-)

(For those who don't know, its origins are in the
military. It really received wide spread use with the
WW2 GI's. (hey..another acronym that has become
understood slang!). It means Situation Normal, All
Fouled Up. 'Cept Fouled is actually a substitute for
less polite word starting with F. :D)

Speaking of snafus, will have to post a trip report
for my hut trip sometime today.

=====
--Thoreau