[at-l] True Tales from the Wild=Moose Story

     Jan Leitschuh's post on moose and how to stay out of trouble with them
reminded me of my first encounter with one.
     I was canoeing on the Allagash river in Maine and as we came around a
bend with some riffles there was this BIG moose that had started across and
stopped when it saw us.  I had never seen a moose before!
     Well, we couldn't stop, back-up, go ashore, etc., only forward!  The
built in yellow stripe down my back that's hard-wired to my brain remembered
every moose-stomping story I had ever heard in a nano-second but there was nothing
to do but act as none threatening as possible, hope he wasn't in rut or buggy
from blackflies and carefully, smoothly, paddle on by.  (I
really-really-really wanted to dig in my pack for the camera but my hands were occupied with my
paddle and I didn't know how the moose to react to a suddenly wandering canoe
and my scrambling in the pack.)
     Nothing happened.
     This was the first "big" wild critter I had ever seen up close!  Mebbe
30'-40'.
Aint nature grand!
     Whew!
David Hahn