[at-l] 2 sugarless drink mix questions

OK, so, I'm a gear weenie.
OK, so, food is gear.
OK, so, "sugarless" might not meet "food" requirements, but it's
*darn* close.

SO:
Yesterday, JimO notes that, in what he doesn't carry in sugar,
he can make up for with greater calories in chocolate, thus

(DELTA\{sugared drink mix} - {sugarless drink mix}) = Snickers
                    and
   CALORIES Snickers > CALORIES Sugar

(haunting in its elegance, no?)
And then wisperlight this morning rechimes with:
"most of the water i had tasted wonderful all by itself but
sometimes you would get a really nasty water source or just want
to drink more liquid then your body wanted. this was alwasy good
for then. it still contains the vitamin C and all the other
stuff just has no sugar or other sweeteners.

give it a try sometime at home.. worse case you add some sugar
and never speak of it again. best case you may really like it."

And this too speaks right to my head, my heart, and indeed, my
stomach.

Now, if I "rarely* carry/use sugared drink mixes, I *never*
carry unsugared drink mixes. Howsomeever, I'm hearing that
"calling" -- the siren call of pseudo-science -- the cackle of
the gear weenie. I gots to try some sugarless. Hencely and
therefore, I gots these two questions:

1) Not vital, but does anyone know of research which indicates
that stomach emptying (as <burp> discussed yesterday) is at all
affected by non-food items such as unsugared drink mix in water
suspension?

2) Do those of you that use non-sugared drink mix have an
observation as to whether or not your drink containers are at
risk of grunge-growth or not, as is the case with sugared drink
mixes? (Again, not vital, but since I don't really "clean" my
water bottles except "occassionally", black "creeping crud" is
one factor that keeps me away from regular drink mix use.)

Thanks for your opinions, observations, etc.
Thinktoe

=====
Spatior! Nitor! Nitor! Tempero!
   Pro Pondera Et Meliora.