[at-l] re: Umbles

>>Remember that two legs of the UMBLES really depends
>>being around another person: Mumbling and Grumbling.
>>It helps to be walking near others, sort of like the
>>old Boy Scout Camp buddy system in swimming. When
the
>>good brain hears the mumbled curses of the bad
brain,
>>someone is likely to announce a rest stop, eat
>>something, put on more clothes, rest a while, drink
>>some water or Gatorade, or do other things that
>>interrupt the process.

>>This is one of the reasons to avoid solo winter
>>hiking.

Ain't that the truth!

I must confess, I do enjoy solo winter hiking, though
being car-less have not done it in quite sometime.
I think winter solo hiking is not bad per se, just
have to be MUCH more aware of what is going on than
three-season hiking.

On a related note, last weekend I had my trip into the
mountains. My friend Mark was on the trip. He was
starting to get cold, even with a down jacket on
(standing around placing blocks of snow can be like
that!). Between the hard work, the cold, and the late
hour, I think it is safe to say we were all a little
tired and cranky. But, Mark was esp. on edge..and was
getting cold as mentioned. I ran to the pack, grabbed
his water, chocolate, and some chips for salt. Mark
was experienced enough to know what I was getting at
and chowed down on the food. Within half an hour, he
was back to his usual cheery self..and warmer.

On the trip, Mark was by far the most experienced
winter backpacker in our group. He instructs Basic
Mountaineering School for the Colorado Mountain Club
and instructs winter courses, too.

If he was solo and not doing "construction", I suspect
he would have stopped to eat  long before. But, we all
lost track of time, and wanted to get our shelter
done.

The point of this little story is that someone as
experienced and knowledgeable as Mark needed another
brain to remind HIS brain that hey, some sugar, salt
and hydration may not be a bad idea.

Imagine what could happen to someone out in winter
with less experience, esp. if solo? It is easy to get
into the 'umbles stage without realizing it.

=====
--Thoreau