[at-l] Emergency Kit.

This post responds to ideas many AT-Lers posted regarding items which I
included in an emergency kit up to the time of the original post.  Here is
more detail about the items, their weights, and my reason(s) for carrying
them.  I?ve included the reasoning I used to not carry items some of you
recommend.

My emergency kit is minimal.  I had a more extensive kit, much of which I
now include in my pack, but I learned to dislike its bulkiness.

EMERGENCY  KIT:  The items are stored within a pouch which is suspended by a
belt.  The weight of my gear is important to me.  The value of having
emergency items at hand, and fully functioning, is more important to me than
is their weight (if, of course, their combined weight is ?reasonable? - -
whatever that is).

BELT & POUCH:  The belt is nylon and looks much as a vehicle seat belt, with
an aluminum buckle.  The pouch is a thick leather ammunition pouch (5.5" x
3.75" x 1.75") which should provide some protection for its contents.  Belt,
4.3 oz.  Pouch, 5.7 oz.

CANDLES:  Three birthday candles protected within an old matchsafe.  The
Candles, alone, don?t register on my kitchen scale.  Candles and brass
Matchsafe, combined, weigh 0.7 oz.

MAGNESIUM, FLINT & STEEL:  The steel is a 2.5" length of hacksaw blade.  The
magnesium has a small flint strip on the side.  They are cylindrical in
shape (1/4" diameter x 2.5 ? long) and fit in a small yet heavy-duty ziplock
type bag.  I?m still wrestling with keeping or removing the magnesium gizmo;
an intensely hot flame igniting wet wood of a cold, rainy and windy night is
just so appealing.  These items, singly, don?t register on my scale.  The
Magnesium, Flint, and Steel are carried together with the Knife Sharpener
and Pencil in a ziplock type bag and weigh 0.4 oz.

MATCHES & EXTRA STRIKER:  British Lifeboat Matches in their waterproof
container, and the striker of another such container.  The combined weight
of Matches and extra Striker is 0.5 oz.

I carry Vaseline coated cotton balls with my cook kit, but there?s not much
room in my emergency kit.

INFORMATION about my Medical Conditions and Insurance, Name, Contact Name &
Telephone Number:  Information of use to medical practitioners is of little
value, lost in the woods.  Medical information can become timely and
valuable once I?m out, however, and I may not be conscious when medics need
it.  These items, Money (below), and Waterproof Paper are carried in a
ziplock type bag.  Their combined weight is 0.1 oz.

MONEY (Cash & Credit Card Numbers):  Money isn?t of much use in the woods.
If, when I leave a restaurant, my pack is gone, additional money becomes
useful.  The weight of Money is included with the paper above.

NAVIGATION (Compass, Pace Counter, Paper & Pencil):  Most of us have only
become disoriented; we wander about and regain our way fairly quickly.  Lost
comes later, after you?ve wandered unsuccessfully, when you would be
thrilled just to find your way back to where you were when you first
realized you were LOST.  These items allow you to become ?unlost.?  A
compass tells you the direction you?re traveling.  A Pace Counter permits
you to calculate the distance - - a watch lets you calculate time but it
takes up more room, is heavier, and batteries die.  Paper and Pencil allow
you to record the changing information.  These four combined let you take
off on an azimuth and then return to your starting point, to repeat casting
out, again and again, until you succeed in finding your way.   USAF Survival
Compass, 0.9 oz.  Homemade Pace Counter fits in a 2" x 2" ziplock type bag
and weighs 0.1 oz.  The weights of Waterproof Paper and 3" length of Soft
Lead (#5B) Pencil are reported above.

FLASHLIGHT:  The flashlight is the Photon II.  The battery dies quickly in
winter.  I have AAA flashlights which perform better, but the emergency kit
lacks the room.  Flashlight, 0.2 oz.

POCKET KNIFE & KNIFE SHARPENER:  The knife sharpener (3/4" x 3/16" x 1/16")
is one of two metal pieces from a cheap kitchen knife sharpener.  Puma
Deerhunter Knife, 4.9 oz.  Weight of the Knife Sharpener, which doesn?t
register on my scale, is reported, above, within a combined weight.

WHISTLE:  The Acme Thunderer (metal).  Probably heavier, although more
durable, than plastic.  Summon help from far away, or when you aren?t
capable of making loud noise.  Whistle, 0.6 oz.

Sometimes I am able to cram everything into the smallest silnylon bag (0.1
oz) placed within the pouch.  This kit, thus far, weighs one and a quarter
pounds.

Several people suggested food.  You can survive for days without food.
You?re not going to be happy, and you will be tired, but you will survive.

I regret not including a space bag, for use as a sleeping bag, and space
blanket, as a tarp, along with some string.  These are light weight but my
kit is intentionally small.  I hope to have the presence of mind to put
those items in my pockets before I leave camp.

Orange Bug advised, 2-29-04, ?The personal body kit typically has no
redundancy.  ...  He has redundancy built in with the fire, maybe a bit too
much.?  Redundancy is permitted, in literature, when used for emphasis.  I
toy with the notion that fire is so important at times that it may tolerate
slight redundancy.    : )     To make clear, some of the items in my
emergency kit are redundant, since they are duplicative; those in my pack,
which are used routinely, and those in my kit, which are strictly reserved
for emergency use only.

I feel a limited kit is better than no kit at all.

Please, continue offering suggestions.  I appreciate that many of your
suggestions are the result of hard earned experience.  I welcome them all.

Again, thank you all for your ideas.

Steve

Click, drag and drop. My MSN is the simple way to design your homepage.