[at-l] Snakebite Treatment

With the rattler bite, onset of reaction to the toxin may be delayed. While
it is true that only 50% of bites lead to envenomation, the severity of the
adverse outcome dictates a need to seek rapid medical attention including
hydration, telemetry and possibly anti-toxin. The risks of waiting and
watching are excessive. Once you go into shock, your survival chances
diminish rapidly.

The swelling around the bite indicates Bad Things happening. Among these
are hemolysis - breakdown of blood. This leads to a variety of problems
including renal failure and heart failure. The longer you wait to seek
help, the more difficult your task becomes. If you are in the Southwest and
get one of the neurotoxic rattlers, your time for rescue is further
reduced. A tournaquet of any sort is a bad idea, as once it is released, a
clot or a bolus of venom may be delivered straight to the heart.
Immobilization and evacuation are the best initial strategies. This is a
toxic exposure, not an allergic reaction to an insect sting.

I am a doctor and have studied up on this in med school, and Wilderness
Medicine courses. We had a retired ER physician on the list who gave a
wonderful review of this matter about a year ago (this is a recurrent theme).

The likelihood of snake bite is in younger people, most dangerous to
children. The elderly also have more problems recovering from bites. Young
men doing stupid things are the most commonly seen victims.

OrangeBug