[at-l] Snakebite Treatment

Both Little Bear and OrangeBug have given worthwhile advice for typical
hiking along the AT but have misinterpreted the message/question in my
3-part email. That's probably because I didn't outline the message well
enough, likely because I've been thinking about this scenario off & on for
a long time, since the incident at Blackrock Hut, July 29, 2000. This is in
the Shenandoah.

I have no qualms about getting myself to an ER when that is possible
without endangering my life in the process. Of course many places along the
trail offer egress to a road where I can flag down a car and get help. That
is not the scenario that I described, experienced.

If either of you are doctors and wish to give medical advice: I'm looking
for the relative risk of death when faced with the decision I outlined.
Again, I was at a shelter, alone, about 3/4 mile *downhill* from the AT. In
late July that year the northbounders had all passed through this area.
It's possible no one would come down off the trail for a few days. If I
wished to be helped I would have to get myself up to the trail. Exerting
myself under these conditions would increase blood flow no matter which
limb was bit, or what I did in the way of restricting blood flow with a
bandana. The increased blood flow, I believe, would flood my system with
toxin and create a much more severe reaction to the bite than if I simply
stayed still for awhile. For lack of more evidence I think it would be
deadly for me to move uphill like that with a severe envenomated bite from
a rattlesnake. A bite from a copperhead, even if severe, is not likely to
result in death (but there will be tissue necrosis).

In this situation it seems best to evaluate the severity of the bite, wait
until I have clear evidence of how the situation is going to play out, and
then make some decisions about getting myself out of there or staying put
for awhile. I found it interesting that cutting, suctioning are not
worthwhile options for the amount of help that they offer. I took comfort
in realizing that the odds of death from the bite are between 1:500 and
1:1000. That's a pretty good survival rate considering that many of those
7000 - 8000 bite victims are intoxicated, perhaps older, perhaps
out-of-shape, perhaps with complicating health problems like diabetes,
heart disease, etc.

If others are knowledgeable about these metabolic things I think an
underlying question might relate to the swelling that occurs when bit. Once
the area is swollen it seems likely that free circulation of the venom
isn't possible or it's greatly reduced. That's the reason for waiting - let
the area swell up and allow the reaction to be local rather than forcing a
systemic reaction by doing something right away. Those who are bee bite
sensitive know the difference between these reactions.

Does that clarify things? --RockDancer