[at-l] Snakebite Treatment

I think this is a lot of information, and it's likely to scare most folks who have not spent time on the AT.  Being bitten by a snake on the AT is undoubtedly less likely than being struck by lightening.

I guess some folks like to be prepared for any scenario however.  With the current frequency of snakebites along the AT, you can rest assured that this is pretty much a non-issue.

One thing I would NOT do, is remain in the woods for several days (and thankfully, you don't have to along the crowded AT) as recommended below.  Especially if you have the misfortune of being envenomated by a Timber Rattlesnake.  That sort of decision can get you killed.

Jeffrey Hunter
Little Bear GA-ME 2000

agaudet@TheWorld.com wrote:
Snakebite Treatment on the AT ? Part III of III

couple of areas. The bite scenario I described doesn?t have a simple
solution. I would spend more time trying to assess the level of the bite.
I?d examine the wound and also see what level of burning pain I had,
whether I started to have a metallic taste in my mouth, have difficulty
breathing, etc. I would immobilize the limb, keep the bite area near heart
level, and I?d use a bandage/bandana to slow blood flow. After a few hours
I think I?d be able to decide whether I should get myself out to a road or
if I should stay put for a longer period of time.

With a serious deep bite, burning pain, nausea, etc. I?d have to abandon
my gear and slowly get myself to the AT where it?s more likely I could
obtain help from passing hikers. I?d move slowly, perhaps on my butt if
the bite was on my leg. I?d control my exertion level so that I don?t
increase my pulse and blood flow.

Falling back on common sense, and thinking about what I had with me at the
time, my plan would?ve been ?wait and see?. My strategy involved remaining
calm, keeping the bit area at or near heart level, using the cool water
convenient to me, perhaps using the Tylenol that I carry. I would wait
several days at this location, if necessary, before attempting to climb
out to a road to seek medical attention. My reasoning was stressing the
idea that anything that raised my blood pressure & pulse would increase
the flow of toxin in my system.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/bitesandstings.html
http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/995_snakes.html)

I?m not a doctor, nor do I play one when I?m on the Appalachian Trail.
--RockDancer