[at-l] Re: I gotta ask about the SLimfast

> Ok, I saw your comment about the Slimfast, and I went to find
> some at the store. I'm an older fart, and have missed all this
diet stuff. All they had was 'powder' stuff from Carnation, and
it mixed with milk. I'm assuming you didn't carry milk with you
on the trail?

1) SlimFast and Carnation Instant Breakfast (and the Nestle,
etc. equivalents) are not exactly the same. Carnation tastes
great, mixes well, and has a boatload of nutrients, but for
energy is mostly sugar, and lacks (as I recall) much protein.
SlimFast tastes "OK" (to be generous), mixes with a tendency to
clump, has a greater amount of a broader array of nutrients, has
a buttload (so to speak) of fiber, and -- especially in the "no
milk" soy protein flavors -- a decent amount of protein. (It
still gets the preponderance of its food energy from sugar,
though, so as "food" alone, it's heavier calories.)

2) Sure I carry milk on trail. Dry milk. Easily consume a dry
liter a week -- I think that amounts to over 3 gallons mixed,
but I forget. But breakfast might be granola/Inst.Bfst/milk with
boiling water poured over it, and almost every hiker-dinner will
be better with milk mixed in. Interestingly, milk greatest food
calorie is by far "carbohydrate".

3) Lately, like a hobbit, I'll do "Second Breakfast" somewhere
down the trail. I take an empty bottle, pour in SlimFast (and
usually milk too), add some water, shake the bejesus out of it,
then fill the water up the rest of the way. Yummy. In winter, I
might pour in boiling water, and wear it in an internal 1-liter
shirt/parka pocket till it cools. MMMMmmmm.

4) Great containers for taking milk and SlimFast on trail are
the broad, short, cup-topped Kool-Aid/Crystal-Lite containers
that are about 5" high and 4" across. They're incredibly light,
VERY strong, and absolutely powder-tight, AND they have a broad
opening to allow easy access. A real boon from the grocery
store, plus they come complete with a month's supply of drink
mix. I can get about 21 scoops of SlimFast in there -- good for
about 1 scoop a day for the boys and I for a week. They're
durable, too -- I have a thousand miles on one pair, and they
barely show any wear.

Anything else?
Sloetoe

=====