[at-l] "Battles" on the AT: Leave.

From: Jack1721@aol.com
I've noticed that some of the conversations here becomes
rancorous; sometimes to the point of name-calling, etc.  If I
hike by myself and try to socialize with folks, how often will
the conversations be like the unpleasant ones on this list from
time to time?

### The thing about the AT is that your house is on your back,
and if you decide you don't like the neighborhood, you pick up
and go.

Over Christmas, I hiked with some pleasant people, three of whom
had dogs. Two of the dogs were absolutely obnoxious, both were
uncontrolled, one a slobberer, the other a threatener. The
threatener I had to confront one night when the owner was simply
not acting; I got in his face, loudly, and that was that. (Not
that I like dogs on trail, but I really think this was just a
good dog that thought his job was to threaten everybody -- that
goes *directly* to the owner.) A slobberer/thief you can't make
peace with -- so I left the neighborhood.

### Where the fun part comes is when you "can't" leave the
neighborhood without a big ol' cost. In the Smokys over July
4th, my sons, Xwife and I came upon a drunk redneck and his
girlfriend at Double Springs shelter. Things were OK at first,
then he just went way "drunk" and started spouting off and
climbing up on the leanto roof and Reb-yelling and I'm looking
at my X and sure enough she's looking at me like "Of COURSE this
is happening." Like it's all my fault. Nevermind her, but this
guy is doing this in front of my kids, who've *never* seen this.
The girlfriend, in her cups herself, was anounced to be the
newbie by Sir Lancelot, so I'm sure she was feeling
not-so-confident to shut him up and calm him down.

So Nowwwwww what do you do? Smokys! Can't sleep else but the
leanto. Kids and X are tired. Hell -- I haven't run in 3 months
-- *I'm* tired. And hot. And now I am PISSED.

So I go all zen. Look down, focus on stuff away from this guy's
line of sight -- not being rude, but try not to make eye
contact. Trying to get my own chores done as purposefully as
possible in the public "facility". I push the kids with my eyes
down the trail to a point on the edge of the clearing, where
they play with a ball, getting the "wide berth!" cue from me as
I roll my eyes at Tarzan. The X, playing Good Cop, goes over and
makes small talk with Girlfriend within earshot of Tarzan. Seems
Tarzan and she climbed up from the Maryville area, and he (Mr.
Backwoods) couldn't conceive of walking the park the *long*
way..... Tarzan visibly sobers as the boys (returned from the
hinterlands and quickly catching onto the game) rattle off their
hiking resume. Slain and chastened by two 9 year olds, Tarzan
mellows for the rest of the night.

It don't always go that way. Make sure you're ready to leave if
you feel the need may pop up. For me, I wanted to get my family
fed and out of there before this guy did something stupid and
forced us all to leave, so I was putting din-din on mui pronto.

Man. I'm bristling just thinking about it.
Ugh! And the X waded right in! And actually *contributed*
something! Wow!

What a memory....
Sloetoe

Anywho, get your water, get your dinner, get your ass moving. No
eye contact -- esPECIALLY if you're seething. Zen out, split.

=====
Spatior! Nitor! Nitor! Tempero!
   Pro Pondera Et Meliora.