[at-l] "Battles" on the AT: Leave.

Thanks, Sloetoe, for an excellent trail post.  Just reading it adds it to our
experience, an experience to use when it happens to us.

Fourth of July is by its nature a difficult time for hiking.  There are more
people on the trail, many with some syrupy idea of being in the REAL
WILDERNESS.  They do not have experience and break all the etiquette rules of the
trail.

Last Fourth of July I was in the environs of a man who set up his tent in the
middle of "nowhere" and then built a fire in front of it.  This was in
Massachusetts.  I also met many very savvy, delightful day hikers.  There were
massive numbers who apparently have a family tradition of climbing  Mt. Greylock,
rather than just parking in the parking lot, as some sort of remembrance of the
meaning of the day.

Kinnickinic