[at-l] Re: Trip report - a cold walk in Harriman Park.

Steve:

I liked the hike, I'll do it again, but it was a completely new
experience for me and the notable difference was indeed the cold.  I
agree with you, I think I did fine.

I have no idea what the precise temperature was, nor what the wind
chill factor was.

But it clearly was COLD.  At times I was facing a 20 MPH wind or so and
single digit temperatures.

I'm not dumb and contrary to what my wife thinks, I'm sure I wasn't in
any danger at all, however clearly I didn't expect the cold to be quite
the challenge it turned out to be.

I'm now absolutely sure I need a new bag and I have a better idea of
how to deal with being damp and cold.  So I'm real happy to have done
that little trip.

Dwight

>>> "Steve Adams" <stephensadams@hotmail.com> 1/28/04 12:20:21 AM >>>
Dwight,

Reference your post, dated 1-26-04, where you advised, I'd developed a

stiff neck overnight (from sleeping in the cold I think) and this was
bothering me quite a bit.

I have suffered the same thing. Supposedly, sleeping bags with collars

block cold air drafts from entering the sleeping bag. I have bags with
such
comforts, top and bottom, but they still dont always work as
advertised.
When I have worn a scarf around my neck in any sleeping bag, I have
never
awakened with a stiff neck.

Let me quote you, (I)t was COLD. I was COLD ... I was COLD. ... I
was COLD. ... I was COLD. I was COLD. Since you also noted, (N)ice
country, two beautiful white tailed deer ... Id guess you did just
fine.

Thanks for your report. Happy hiking.

Steve

High-speed usersbe more efficient online with the new MSN Premium
Internet