Maybe, just maybe.... Re: [at-l] Parenting, Holmes, and measuring life

In a message dated 1/22/2004 11:29:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
kellyswhitman@hotmail.com writes:

> I'm a non-hiker?  That's interesting you brought that up about a rescue.
> Someone else emailed offlist saying it was a terrible thing to put rescuers
> in danger "unnecessarily," and that person has been strangely silent about
> what this fellow did.

I suppose everytime some goes hiking they're potentially endangering the
rescuer unnecessarily.  As far as I can tell that's part of the job, such as a
soldier, policeman or fireman.  Had the hiker in question been ill-prepared
without a stove, sleeping bag and tent and with only a daypack and/or a cellphone,
I could see your gripe.

Even the best equipt hiker can suffer ill-fortune when mother nature takes a
turn for the worse or they're not careful.  Into Cold Air.....

Sly