[at-l] Blood Mountain/Slaughter Gap Relocation

RockDancer asked a number of questions about the newest Georgia relocation.
Northbound, you might recall just a few hundred yards north of Bird Gap a
small stream trickling by the trail on your right. There were a few old
tent pads above that spring. The relo is just beyond this spring, hanging a
sharp right up the ridge, past a bunch of new tent pads. Near this turn is
a junction going left and downhill on the new Slaughter Creek Trail.
Obviously, water is pretty good in this area, even in drought if you go
down the SCT for a while. The SCT is a quick way to the AT or down to
potential resupply after going to Lake Winfield Scott and a call or road
walk to Goose Creek.

What I don't know is the status of Duncan Ridge Trail, as it was one of the
trails joined at Slaughter Gap. It made a nice 60 mile loop from near Three
Forks to Slaughter Gap.

The relo connects to "old" AT further up on Blood's shoulder. I am certain
that there were numerous considerations. We had fire in Slaughter Gap back
in '99, a horrible drought and it wasn't that good a water source. A few
extra campers made this area very damaged. At some point, I expect some
archeology folks will want to investigate the area regarding the history of
the Indian Wars.

OrangeBug