[at-l] cohos vs. long trail

The relevant information can be found at:

http://www.greenmountainclub.org and

http://www.cohostrail.org

The Long Trail is a very well marked 260 mile trail with a trail guide, maps, and an end-to-enders guide (like the AT Companion).  The Long Trail has some rugged sections in the northern 160 miles.  This trail is a good mini-AT thru hike - if you like hiking the Long Trail, you'll probably like thru hiking the AT.

The 160 mile Cohos Trail is partially completed.  They have a guidebook and maps.  I imagine the cross country nature of the Cohos Trail might be like the CDT.  I've hiked the Long Trail (and loved it!) and want to hike the Cohos Trail in the future.

If I had limited long distance hiking experience, I'd probably hike the Long Trail first.  However, if I lived in New Hampshire, I might like to walk out of my house, find a trail, and connect with the Cohos Trail.  That would be way cool.

Camel AT 98, LT 98
Starman PCT 00
Tim CDT 02

S Buchanan <buchanan@gtcinternet.com> wrote:
OK everybody -listen up. A real live trail question, even if it's not an AT trail question.

I'm going to do my first long hike (more than 2 weeks) this summer. Had planned on doing the Long Trail. Am now wondering if maybe this new NH resident ought to be thinking about walking her home state and doing the Cohos Trail?

It might be a solo venture (have someone who might be able to hike with me in August, but nothing certain about that). My first long distance hike. Maybe solo. What think ye?? Is the Long Trail's more clearly defined and populated trails the better bet for me at this time? I've wanted to do that trail for a long time now. I suspect that I will probably be doing another month out next year, so can pick up whichever I don't do this year.

What order would you do them in??

suzie