[at-l] Holmes, Cold Weather and Life

I think much of life involves wrestling with conficting emotions and
desires - for instance, my desire to hike, climb, take risks and be in
the outdoors must be reconciled with my desire to be a good husband and
father . . . when I read the stories about Mr. Holmes dying in the
Whites, I have at least two conflicting emotions: (1) what a great way
to die - doing what you love in the outdoors; and (2) what a dumb thing
to do alone given the weather conditions . . . both thoughts bear
legitimacy . . . ironically, if he had been 85 years old, we all might
be saying to ourselves "What a way to go - a life well lived!"  In all
events, hopefully his love of the outdoors will live on in his children,
and that his wife can come to terms with the fact that his death was an
inextricable part of who he was . . .

thru-thinker