[at-l] I have have a question about the long trail.

In a message dated 1/14/04 1:17:31 AM, jeanpaul@comcast.net writes:

> what is the earliest time of year you can do that. I know they ask you not
> to hike on it during the "mud" season.? I have a little paper back book I
> got while in Vermont hiking on the AT about hiking the length of the long
> trail that talks of MUD SEASON! it does not really explain what this is. and
> when I was there it was not dry but not wet it was just right like the 3rd
> pourage.
>
> when/what is mud season? when could i attempt such a thing? i figure it is
> icy cold and snowy up there and not exactly the best idea to do this time of
> year, right? and any other questions i should have asked too.

It varies from year to year.   Really depends on the total snowfall from the
winter and how long it takes to melt.   Some years the snow is gone and ground
is firm by mid April but usually it takes till the end of April or mid May
for the mud to be gone.   Sometimes mud season reaches the beginning of June.
If you made plans for After Memorial Day you can be fairly safe.

                                                       Art