[at-l] New to the trail

> Hi Shelly. Your original message must have been during Ryan's wars with
the
> techno hyjackers because I didn't get it either. Ryan won't take
> compensation for what he does but I think we should come up with some
> 'campaign medals' for all the battles he's fought over the years to keep
> AT-L on-line.

Saunterer, no need to apologize for not getting the message.  Like I said,
no biggie.  Sounds like Ryan has his hands full.  Kudos to Ryan for keeping
this going!

> That's okay. You don't want to go there anyway. (Wingfoot)

Someone needs to give me the lowdown on Wingfoot.  I know that he does the
trailguide and has the website.  I don't see how this is controversial,
though.  Seems to me that it's all in the name for supporting the AT.  Is
that a bad thing?  Has he committed some heinous crime I'm not aware of?
Or, is it just some silly political thing such as not being affiliated with
the official ATC?  Unless he killed another hiker and stowed the body in the
woods somewhere, I don't have any evidence of having a dislike for the guy
to this point.

> Felix's MC# is a running joke started by Felix who is... well, Felix. Hey,
> umbrellas are good. At least one thru hiker did the whole AT using an
> umbrella for rain gear but they are a flame prone topic along with guns,
> cell phones and pointy tipped hiking poles.

Learning that Felix is indeed a very unique individual...;-)  As far as the
umbrellas, guns, cell phones, and pointy tipped hiking poles, I say to each
their own.  As long as I don't have to walk behind someone with an umbrella;
they aren't waving it in my face (the guns, that is...;-D); they don't
interupt my sleep while chatting away, and the pointy tipped pole does not
end up going through MY foot; then I'm a fairly forgiving person.

> > > Gad! Zip Stove?
> >Huh?  Never heard of it.

Did a google and found info on the Zip.  Seems a bit bulking & messy, but it
sounds like it could be something that I could use, if say I & my husband
were carrying gear for our kids.  The girls don't take too well to cold and
wet, so having something that would perhaps have a longer burning time &
more heat would be a good thing.  And, not having to carry all of that fuel
(enough for a family) would be welcome.  (Seems like a trade off here.) Lord
knows that they (my girls) generate enough trash for enough fuel to light up
Knoxville on their own!

I have used an alcohol stove, but we didn't use Coke cans.  (***Note all
soft drinks in the South are referred to as a "Coke".  Not soda pop, Pepsi,
or etc.  Everything is a Coke.  Figure that one out.)  I have seen
variations made from tin cans which seemed like it was a little more
sturdier than a Coke can, but it may have weighed slightly more.  I would
love to find one of the Simmons Safe Sport Stoves.  Heard and saw one of
these many moons ago.  Are these still manufactured?

Shelly Hale