[at-l] Little Lyford Pond camps

>"...I am thinking that the LLP Camps will build a low cost bunkroom just as
>soon as the Highbrow Center adds on a hiker room and showers..." thinks Rick B.

We shall see. I stayed at LLP for two nights, just before Thanksgiving for $20.
Of course, I spent two days clearing trails.

The Highland Center is on a paved, public road and can attract traditional motel
and hotel users. Little Lyford Camps are 25 miles in the woods on rough, dirt
logging roads. AMC dreams of building a series of overnight "huts" through its
37,000 acres -- possibly soon to be 100,000 acres. Eventually LLP will be one of
these huts. I doubt if the traffic will support $100-a-night beds and meals for
those kinds of accommodations.

More likely is the Carter Notch pattern. Carter couldn't break even as a full
service facility and became an $18(?) "caretaker" facility.

BTW, wilderness advocate, naturalist and writer, Dean Bennett will speak at a
public pot luck supper at 6:30 tomorrow night at the South Portland, ME, public
library, sponsored by the Maine Chapter, AMC. Dean tells me he will discuss how
the AMC lands can, and perhaps should, be managed as "wilderness."

If anyone wants to attend, let me know and I'll post directions. Dean is a
retired professor from the University of Maine at Farmington, and author of
several books, most recently, "The View from Chamberlain Farm," dealing with the
history and management of the Allagash Wilderness Waterway. He and his wife are
also founding directors of the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust.

Weary