[at-l] RE: Food Dehydrators

TVP is exactly what I meant. Thanks Sly!

I also dehydrate for the experience and fun, but
certainly not for the time and expense. I tend to go
to my local farmer's market and buy whatever is ripe
or overly ripe among fruits and some veggies. Culled
peaches (those that normal people consider compost
material), dying bananas (if Mrs. Bug doesn't claim
them for banana bread), a neighbor's pears and apples
- these are in my personal GORP. The trick is to keep
things clean, trim away anything that is nasty-nasty,
and clean equipment thoroughly. I also like to slice
everything very thin, creating chips as much as
possible. I put my successes in baggies and consign
them to the freezer until I'm ready to roll.

I will dry meats if we have a bunch left over from a
party. There are more things that can go deadly wrong
with meat than with fruit and veggies.

My advice is based on Kelly's concern for budget and
recognizing that she is barely 4 months away from
Springer.

This is a hobby that has many opportunities for fun.
Some get caught up in too much work at having fun.
They should play golf rather than hike.

OrangeBug