[at-l] Blister management question

I did a grueling hike last Friday which involved a long, steep up and a
long, steep down.  I was extra careful with the duct tape and moleskin, and
at the end of the day my feet were the only thing that didn't hurt - except
for my little toe on my right foot.  It grew a blister almost the size of
the toe which popped, bled lots, and ultimately looked like someone had
taken a razor and shaved a deep section of skin from the toe.

Okay, common enough story.  Since then I haven't been able to figure out a
way to pack it so that I can wear a closed toe shoe.  I've been wearing
goaheads for the past five days, which is fine for here (a little chilly
this time of year) but clearly I'd have to find a way to tolerate closed toe
shoes on the trail.  If I were on a thruhike I could deal with the pain if I
had to but I'd be concerned about keeping the wound open and possibly
enlarging it or getting it infected.  I've tried Neosporin, aloe vera,
Nuskin, bandaids, athletic tape, gauze, and duct tape.  Obviously prevention
is the best medicine - and now I know to extend the moleskin to my littlest
toes, too -  but is there a tip or trick or something that I'm missing to
caring for it now?

Kelly Whitman
INTP
"There ARE no other women like me."  -- 7 of 9

Tired of slow downloads and busy signals?  Get a high-speed Internet
connection! Comparison-shop your local high-speed providers here.
https://broadband.msn.com