"weekenders" as route designers... Re: Re[2]: [at-l] Elevation changes

Sloetoe wrote:

>--- "Bob C." <ellen at clinic.net> wrote:
>>(and weekenders are looking for a weekend challenge not just
>an easy way to get between Springer and Katahdin)
>
>### Then "weekenders" should stay the hell home and use their
>dust-gathering stairmasters instead of imposing their
>insensitive, sadistic wishes for a short-term
>challenge-regardless-of-how upon the route of a *longgggg*
>distance hiking trail and them as actually use it for such. The
>point of a long distance trail is to hike long distances, not to
>string together abusive dayhikes for the mentally challenged too
>lazy to find anything besides the AT to hike.

Sir Toe -
This is gonna get strange - very, very strange.  <G>

First because Weary's supposition is right on target.

Second because he learned it from me.  <G>

And third because while I sort of agree with you - think about the AT route
that Avery laid out.  His philosophy was to make the Trail "interesting."
That's largely why it went over every available molehill in sight even
before I started hiking it (1952).  One difference - when the original trail
was laid out, those molehills had views.  Now they don't.  I won't express
an opinion about that.

Bottom line - don't blame Weary.  He's only telling you what I told him. And
I learned it by working with trail crews.  So - I guess you can blame me.
Uh - yeah - the posts are probably still back there in the archives from
when that first came up and he didn't believe me and argued with me about
it.   But I'm not gonna go look it up - you'll have to do that for yourself.

OTOH - maybe those who don't like where it goes should get involved with the
trail crews - or the ATC so they can have a voice in where it goes.  Of
course, that might be a little tough now - the Trail is pretty much set
except for minor relos.  Or maybe a very few major ones.

Now - Jim defending Weary ---- "I" think that's strange even if you don't.
<VBG>

Walk softly,
Jim

Say “goodbye” to busy signals and slow downloads with a high-speed Internet
connection! Prices start at less than $1 a day average.