[at-l] OT Windmills

What Balderdash! A windmill operating at full load, in a stiff breeze in
other words, generates about 1 MWe. It would take a couple thousand
windmills to replace a nuke plant, 3-500 to replace a fossil plant. I think
the total energy use in the US approaches a terawatt, that would take a
million windmills. Also I don't know anywhere where the wind blows all the
time, day and night, 365 days a year. So plan on multiplying that number by
some fudge factor to make sure you have enough in operation to supply all
the power needed. And then you'd have to move the power from where the wind
blows to where it doesn't. That means more high voltage power lines, OH OH
the Horror of that!!

Also the Sierra Club is now whining that these windmills are killing birds,
especially raptors. One farm out in California kills hundreds of falcons and
such a year, or so says the Sierra Club.

So millions of windmills, millions of miles of new power lines and truck
loads of sushied birds, great thinking there. Oh yes all this costs 2-5
times more than fossil or nuke power so expect $300 power bills too.

Just build more nuke plants. Pebble bed types look very promising.

Bryan

"Si vis pacem para bellum"