[at-l] This and That stuff

I suspect that Ursaphobia would be the correct word for Bear Phobia, if one
felt that they needed to be obtuse about the terminology. I doubt it would
only be a significant factor involving Post Traumatic Stress following a
bear mauling, or an unreasonable desire to stay in urban areas that are
devoid of bear populations.

On the Pole Dueling threads (quite the Freudian image): life is full of
examples of the laws of unintended consequences. I heard on NPR several
weeks back about a forest with loss of a tree species because of fishermen
abandoning worms after their forays on a neighboring lake. The worms
converted organic matter too efficiently, starving the seedlings and trees.
Now that the problem is recognized, should tree huggers endorse a wholesale
pesticide to kill off the worms?

Similarly, much ado has been made about nothing. There are tradeoffs with
any sort of hiking pole. Even the failure to use a pole has consequences,
regarding trail damage, injuries, search & rescue and fiscal solvency of
some trail donors. The only thing that is clear: not one of these guys will
allow their favorite pole to be taken from their grasp.

OrangeBug