taking maps/compass or not... Re: Re[2]: [at-l] What about thebooks?

Aside from just enjoying the information they contain, for me maps are basic
safety gear -- like life preservers in a canoe or seat belts in a car. I've
never been in a situation where seat belts provided critical protection, but I
recognize that such a situation could arise, so I use them, since like maps,
there is no real reason for not using them.

  Nor do I buy the suggestion that carrying a map is analogous to carrying
 guides to trees, flowers and other natural things.

 I'm not a skilled plant person, but I was able to identify most of the things I
 found on the trail that aroused my curiosity. Over the years I've learned the
 names of the common trees and flowers. I would take notes and photos of the
 uncommon, and could usually make an identification as soon as I came to a small
 town library, or trailside bookstore, and, if not when, I got home and reviewed
 my pictures.

 But like sloetoe, I would love to find good, light weight identification
 guides.

 Weary