[at-l] Non-food from Yoga Lady

In a message dated 11/4/03 6:46:38 PM, kellyswhitman@hotmail.com writes:

<< I think this discussion has prompted me to go back to my once-a-week mail
drops (I had changed it to every other week) so I can have the healthy foods
I'm used to on the trail. >>

That is a wise decission.  I discovered after talking with many hikers that 3
or 4 days between resupply helps keep your pack lighter, gets you into town
for better meals more often, and lighter pack leads to higher miles offering
the possibility of more rest days.  It is not always possible but mostly it is
easy to do.

I hiked for one month from Springer to davenport Gap in 2003.  My plan was to
carry 6 days of food and stop once per week.  12 pounds of food made for a
heavy pack.  Got caught in snow storm in the smokies so I ended up doing only 3
days for my last section.  What a difference!!!!!!

Another thing I learned from Baltimore Jack was to send my mail drops to
hostels, hotels, outfitters, rather than post offices where ever possible.  Becau
se, post office hours are much more limited.  My first mail drop was at Neel's
Gap.  It worked great after that I tried to do 6-7 days between drops.  I
learn most things the hard way.

                                        Art