[at-l] Trip report

Well, due to a strange work schedule this week I had yesterday off, and
even managed to get an early start.
I headed for Panther Mt, outside of Big Indian in the Catskills, and
reached the trailhead just after 8:30. Blue skies and sunshine, but cool.
Seems like half the climb is in the first 3/4 mile, but then you get to
wander along some high ledges for a good distance. Needless to say the view
were great, and if you could get into the sun it was even warm.
The climb from the ledges up to Panther was pretty well contoured, and
there were some more great views at the top, it looked like you could make
it to the public campground in the valley below with one good jump <g>.
Heading back I met an older couple heading up and was greeted with "Good
Morning Mr Hudson!".
The scary part was that his voice sounded very familiar, but they had only
got my name out of the register, and ours were the only two cars in the
parking lot.
Got back down to the car early enough to decide to head over to Slide Mt,
even though that would make it into a fairly long day (distance, not so
much time). More cars in the parking lot, but I only met two guys on the
way down and one more guy on top. Stopped for lunch on the way up, then
pushed on. There's a long, easy strectch along the ridge approaching the
summit, walking through spruce and slightly too well shaded, very cool in
there but made incentive to generate body heat by hiking faster.
Finely got to take a sit and enjoy break on the summit, fantastic views to
the north. Just a bit of ice below the bronze plaque mermorial to John
Burroughes to let me know how cold it was in the shade, but still very nice
in the sun...
Made it back to the car in time to catch all the school busses on the way
home. Tired, but a good day...

skeeter