[at-l] weight loss (was Cooking Challenge)

When my mind wasn't locked into some silly song, in '93 I would wile away the
"boring(?)" trail sections by planning an "all you can eat" weight loss
business.

The only requirement would be that all food eaten each day would have to first
be carried 16 miles up and down hills in a 35 pound pack.

For most of us steady, consistent, vigorous exercise, is the only way to control
weight. We are a prosperous society with an abundance of food stuffs, readily
available. Humans survived over most of their history by eating heartily
whenever food was to be found. Those who didn't died of starvation before
passing on their genes to future generations. We have been bred over the
millennia to eat whenever food can be found, which except on the trail is always
for most of us this country.

The hope for the future is that we perhaps can evolve in the opposite direction.
If fewer and fewer fat kids live long enough to have many progeny and we can
persuade skinny folks to make up for the deficiency, in 20,000 years or so
humans possibly will have evolved to shun surplus food.

In the meantime we will have to depend on the three secrets for healthy bodies.
Exercise, exercise, exercise -- especially after ending a thru hike.

Weary, who is struggling to discard 10 pounds garnered in those marvelous
restaurants in maritime provinces with a scarcity of interesting trails.