[at-l] Northeast AT Meeting (was Testing---)

At 09:37 PM 10/26/2003 -0500, Bob C. wrote:
...clip...
>But three years of agitation has failed to result in significant changes
>to the
>  new chain saw regulations -- which are not a significant problem to
> clubs with
>  many members and short trail sections -- but which could be devastating to
>  small(625 members) maintaining clubs like the Maine Appalachian Trail Club,
>  with 300 miles of trail to maintain.
>
>  Essentially: If I am to continue to saw and remove downed blowdowns on
> my 1.1
>  miles of trail on Whitecap I must meet US Forest Service requirements for
>  professional chainsaw workers -- as will the at least 100, probably 200,
> users
>  of chainsaws in the maintenance of the trail in Maine.
>
>  The only real compromises in the 3 year debate: CPR certification is now
> only
>  recommended, not required, and a mandatory three day training course has had
>  the three days removed. One now must only train enough to meet the
>  requirements, which may, or may not, require three days.

So how do they know who meets the requirements if the course is no longer
required? Do you have to take a chain saw driver's test?

My question is not intended to argue in favor of the 3 day course. I'm just
curious. As someone who was involved in supervising 125 people who worked
on clean-up after the 1998 Ice Storm I can say with certainty that training
people to use a chain saw safely is no assurance that they will do so.