[at-l] sock liners

Next to the skin, under a heavy sock.

The concept of a sock liner is to reduce friction on the skin of the foot.

How well they work is, IMHO, a function of boot/foot match, fit, sock
design, conditions in which you hiking, etc.  What works for one person is a
disaster for another.

The idea of a liner is to let the socks [liner & heavy] do some sliding
between themselves.

If you sock grips the boot and your foot grips the same sock and the sock
does not provide enough lateral give , all the stress is put on the skin
next to the sock -- resulting in blisters.  That is the reason behind slick
liner socks and/or talc -- most of the movement occurs between the two socks
as the liner moves along with your skin and your heavy sock moves with your
boot move -- reducing the stress between the layers of skin, or skin and
flesh.

BTW -- opinions are like noses, nearly everyone has one.  However, IMHO get
a sock/boot fit that works w/o a liner.  If you can't go slightly large, use
heavier socks and a liner.  Find what works for you and hike on.

Some folk think nearly any sock works.  Many people love smartwool and
sealskins -- both of which I have tried and they didn't work for me.  OTOH,
I have hiked with the heavier bridgedales w/o liners, in the past.

As I now must wear compression socks [for circulation problems], they serve
as liners and I have no choice.

As always YMMV.

Chainsaw