[at-l] OT: Updated Florida Hurricane Prep.

>"...If you want to make this argument, you also have to argue against people
>living in Tornado Alley, anyplace where the Earth Shakes, anyplace that has
>Forest Fires...  There are hazards everywhere.

Of course. But the federal government insures against only one of these hazards
-- floods. It began as a carrot and stick approach to get people to move away
from flood-prone areas. But it has had just the opposite impact.

 Gradually, the original prohibitions against rebuilding in flood-prone areas
 have been eliminated. The insurance now is an incentive for such rebuilding. I
 can only speak from personal knowledge about the impact of the program on the
 coast of Maine. A few of us are holdouts, but for the most part ordinary people
 no longer live near the shore. Flood insurance only makes it possible for folks
 who can afford $200,000 plus house lots to live in risk-prone areas, risk
 free.

 And yes Shane. You are right. It has nothing to do with the AT, which may be
 why it's labeled OT.

 Weary