[at-l] OT: Updated Florida Hurricane Prep.

In a message dated 10/6/2003 9:47:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ShaunaShatto@aol.com writes:

> UPDATED FLORIDA HURRICANE PREPARATION
>
> We're into the peak of the hurricane season.

       ***  Were a month past the peak and the chances decline everyday. I'm
of the mind that this early fall pattern that set up the huge trough and
dipping jet stream over the continent sort of increases the chances for a
late-season cyclone. October is the time that the SW Caribbean sea's latent heat
creates storms that drift north towards Florida and the Gulf of Mexico. The Cape
Verde season is shutting down with unfavorable atmospherics hampering formation
conditions.

        DC didn't come anywhere near a serious shoreline hurricane eyewall
impact. The problem is mostly trees falling on powerlines. The AT probably
needed a bunch of trimming like it did after Floyd. I had to clear a section in
Harriman with tangled hemlock tops after Floyd. There was a 1/4 mile section that
took a full afternoon. He also smashed a new bridge I had built that we had
to then rebuild. I suppose Virginia through Pennsylvania were affected
similarly...

           We would just have to get out if one came here. We are 400 yards
from the Gulf at 4 feet elevation...