[at-l] RE: Isabelle (was Vu-ja-de)

I'm a section leader of a piece of the AT on the south side of Three Ridges, just north of the Tye River.  Not sure I'm ready to go up and look yet.....

Skippie...

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim and/or Ginny Owen [mailto:spiriteagle99@hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 4:19 PM
To: Ferguson, J. Mark
Cc: at-l@backcountry.net
Subject: Isabelle (was Vu-ja-de)

skippie wrote:
>Is "canuding" naked canoeing??? Inquiring minds want to know...
>
>skippie...who has spent the last three days doing "trail maintenance" in an
>Isabelle redecorated yard...wooohaaa

We also had Isabelle come to visit.  But we didn't lose power - or have a
tree fall on the house - or any of the other "bad" things that happened to
other people.

But we did go out Saturday and clear one of the local trails.  Then
yesterday we went to see if we could do a few miles on the AT (and to see
how badly Izzy had dumped on it).  We started from Turners Gap in MD and
headed south --- for about 150 yards.  That's where we hit the first
blowdown.  It was a tangle of small to medium-sized branches so we took that
out with a hand saw that we "just happened" to have with us.  Then I fell
and smashed my leg - thought it was broken for a couple minutes.  It's not,
but I wasn't gonna be walking any more on it yesterday.  Not that it
mattered much - as we looked south, we could see a tangle of at least six
18" - 24" blowdowns in the next 20 yards - and other damage beyond that.
And we weren't gonna take that mess out with our little 8" hand saw.

This was all before we even got to Dahlgren campground - and we'd thought we
might make it to Pogo.  The maintainers are gonna have fun with this one -
to say nothing of the SOBO's.

Gotta figure that anyone who really cares about the AT will be out there on
a trail crew at least once (if not more) this next month or so.  We'll be
there - hope we'll see some of y'all.

And then we'll get to work on a bunch of trails in PA, too.  Nothing like
having your life planned for you by a hurricane.

Walk softly,
Jim

http://msnmessenger-download.com