[at-l] Alternative Trails And Other Stuff

    Well if Jim and Weary want to ignore my posts fine, however, there's
something about my AT integrity that can't let this kind of specious equivocation
go unaddressed:

          " You want public preserves - so --- how much?  Where?  Why? "

        ~   MacKaye was very specific about this. Sounds like the same
question being asked twice. It's obvious the best place those preserves should go is
the place dedicated to them. That would be the AT. Seems simple enough
doesn't it? The scientific answer is those places that best preserve natural
ecosystems and concentrated intact areas of flora or fauna. The next answer is those
places best adding to the sense of remoteness and wilderness and therefore
"AT"...

      " The AT needs very little in the way of new land acquisition to
accomplish the basic purpose.   RnR's 10 to 20 mile wide swath already exists.  <>
so how much of the Trail is really "unprotected" and "in danger" as Roks
continually claims? "

         ~   This is self-exposing in itself. Read the ATN Jim. The AT is
under perpetual threat wherever it is near private borders. Comparing the changes
to the Trail from nearby development over the last decades and extrapolating
the future changes on this basis would answer that question. It's really sort
of a silly question. The difference between the Maine Earl Shaffer experienced
and the one the Kingdoms' come proliferators desire is one answer.

         Literally, the worst threat to the Trail is its conservation
philosophy being lost to other interests...

    " You want to expand a single corridor that will generate massive
political resistance and you ignore the  multiple corridors that NEED to be expanded.
 Why?  Maybe because you're hung up on the AT as being the only trail worth
fighting for?  That's dumb.  And for Roxy's benefit - Mackaye would have your
tail roasting over a slow fire for allowing the opportunity to protect other
trails to slip through your fingers by concentrating on only one corridor like
that.    The AT's not the "only" trail in the world - or even the most
important one. "

       ~  Here is where you have drawn a battle line against the AT and what
it stands for Jim. This is a false argument and I'll explain why. First off,
this scenario doesn't come close to acknowledging the present reality. Those
other trails are in the same state and just as threatened as the AT. The lean-to
liability issue on the Cohos Trail is a good example. If your policy of
laying back on the AT is carried out it is most likely NONE of the trails will
acquire any new buffers. If the AT is allowed to lapse off its stated purpose, it
will only stand as a good example of the prime national hiking trail reaching
its apex and surrendering to the legitimacy of expanding sprawl containment. I
can't say the things I feel like saying to you Mr Owen.

            Benton MacKaye would tan your britches for using his name in a
quote that worked against his real purposes. There is no case where he would
consent to retreat from AT fulfillment. His leaving the Project shows how he felt
towards that. Make no mistake, the slogan "the AT isn't the only trail in the
world" is just an obvious excuse for not fully backing the AT. Ask the public
to name the nation's LDH trails. They'll name the AT. I doubt they'll know
any others. If the public sees the AT was unable to complete itself, it won't
have any trouble accepting the failure of trails it doesn't even know of. When
backing the AT, a straight rule pretty much applies - any program, masked as
the better way, that asks to limit or curtail AT land acquisitions is probably
against what the Trail stands for. Any program that *improves* the Trail's
buffers, according to its constitution, is one that works in the Trail's favor. I
think the problem some have with Jim's spin is that it conforms to the former
and not the latter and is a little too willing to give up future AT wild lands
for ambiguous reasons. Another glaring flaw is that it fails to recognize the
progress that is happening while he figures out just what is right...