[at-l] alternative trails and other stuff

Weary wrote:
> >"... So why do you think that anyone is actually working to provide
> >"alternative trails"?
>
>Well one reason is that on Trails Day in June, MATC officially opened a
>newly
>constructed 17-mile loop trail that connects to the AT on East Baldpate.
>It's
>the first segment of what will be a 42 mile blue-blazed bypass of a portion
>of
>the Mahoosucs. It is on public and private forest lands and is a
>cooperative
>deal involving private owners, the federal government, Maine state
>agencies,
>AMC, MATC, Outward Bound and other organizations. The trail shows what can
>be
>accomplished when people work cooperatively. The new trail idea was first
>publicly broached at the 1997 ATC conference in Maine. Six years later it
>is
>becoming a reality.

Cool - uh - wait a minute - bypass the Mahoosucs?   Wow - I can see the
blue-blazers loving you for that one.  <VBG>

>I have also championed the IAT and Earl Shaffer's dream of a new trail to
>the
>west of the AT, in effect, creating a 3,500-mile loop trail between the
>southern
>and northern Appalachians.

LOL!!!  - We're just completing construction of a segment of the Mid-State
Trail that'll connect to the Finger Lakes Trail.  We're way ahead of you on
that 3500-mile loop.  Once that link is complete, one could connect from the
AT in SNP on the Tuscarora Trail (or from the Allegheny Trail north of
Pearisburg) to the C&O to the Green Ridge Trail, then the Mid-State Trail
through to the Finger Lakes Trail in NY and back to the AT.  That's only one
of the many available loops.  Keep working on it.

>There are a lot of exciting ideas out there. But they won't happen as long
>as
>important segments of the trail community continues to oppose new public
>preserves,

I haven't seen anyone opposing either trail protection - or new trail
construction, Bob.  Only indiscriminate and unscrupulous land acquisition.

>and continues to spread distortions and misconceptions about about
>past public land acquisitions.

You apparently have no understanding that unless we're open about past
public land acquisition pecadillos, unless we FIX thoe problems, we're
setting the stage for future failure to achieve our goals.  Your advocacy of
indiscriminate use of ED for AT land acquisiton is inimical to the
completion of the 3500 (or as I see it - 5000) mile Earl Shaffer Trail.
Especially when that AT land acquisition is unnecessary for actual Trail
protection and is useful only to further your vision of a "long green
tunnel."

>Nothing's perfect in this world. There will always be abuses by bureaucrats
>in
>positions of power, just as there are abuses by powerful private
>corporations.
>It doesn't help when trail users express boredom with discussions of the
>need
>for more trails and buffers for existent trails -- or outright opposition
>more public land preserves.

As you said in a previous post - some people see villains everywhere.  Even
when they don't exist.

You still haven't answered the questions --- or ARE you getting old and
can't remember where we started this conversation?  You want public
preserves - so --- how much?  Where?  Why?  Or maybe we should go back to
the original questions?  Hmmm - maybe later.  I'm sure we'll get there again
<G>

What I want is that the trails we have now be protected.  Further land
acquisiton that doesn't accomplish that specific purpose is a waste of time,
energy and money.   The AT needs very little in the way of new land
acquisition to accomplish the basic purpose.  For the southern 1,000+ miles,
it's 99.9% in either State or National Forests or Parks where, for the most
part,  RnR's 10 to 20 mile wide swath already exists.  With the exception of
road crossings, there are very few, if any, gaps left in that half of the
Trail.  Through PA, the Trail runs through State Forests and Gamelands -
again with buffers that exceed what's necessary to preserve - and enjoy -
the Trail.  PA is presently fighting the race track - but the Trail corridor
itself is NOT insecure.  In NY/NJ and into New England, I don't really know
the situation that well - I'm sure there are others who do - so how much of
the Trail is really "unprotected" and "in danger" as Roks continually
claims?   I do know that large segments of the Trail are in State or
National Parks or Forests - like the White Mountain National Forest or
DWGNRA - and, again, protected by very large buffers - so how much of it is
actually NOT within those kind of boundaries .  In Maine, I have no problem
with those who are buying land tracts - even though there's a more efficient
and cost effective way to accomplish the "stated" purpose.  But we've had
that discussion before and there's no reason to repeat it here.

And then there are the 2000+ miles of PA trails - many of which still need
protection.  To say nothing of the thousands of miles of trail in MD, NY,
WV, VA, NC - and a few other places.  And you want to fiddle around with
"widening the AT corridor" while thousands of miles of other trails are in
real danger. You want to expand a single corridor that will generate massive
political resistance and you ignore the  multiple corridors that NEED to be
expanded.  Why?  Maybe because you're hung up on the AT as being the only
trail worth fighting for?  That's dumb.  And for Roxy's benefit - Mackaye
would have your tail roasting over a slow fire for allowing the opportunity
to protect other trails to slip through your fingers by concentrating on
only one corridor like that.    The AT's not the "only" trail in the world -
or even the most important one.

Now - for all the words that have been written here - just what exactly are
you looking for in the way of "land acquisition" -- and why?  You
consistently fail to define those things, you're  consistently vague about
precisely what it is that you're looking for - and you consistently accuse
others (particularly me) of, for example, "opposing more public land
preserves."   And yet you never precisely define your goals .  Until you do
- you'll find me in constant opposition, if for no other reason, simply
because the "fuzzy" words you use don't provide enough information to make
decisions about - they're simply emotional catch-phrases that have no real
meaning.  No wonder some of these people get bored by the "discussions."

Your first paragraph up there is good solid information - the second defines
a "dream" that others have been working on for years.  Do  I have to wonder
where you picked that up?  So where are you when we need help with
establishing the Link Trail and maintaining the corridor for it so we can
have another link in the chain?  Or weren't you serious about the Earl
Shaffer Trail?

By the third and fourth paragraphs, you're into looking for "villains" under
the bed, "whitewashing" the errors of the past - and claiming "opposition"
because you apparently can't handle the truth about past ATC/NPS operation
and want to shove the "dirty laundry" under the rug.  Well - until that
"dirty laundry" gets cleaned up and aired out, all you're doing is making
excuses for the "stink" that's seeping through the rug and smelling up the
place.  If we did with the Shuttle Program what you seem to be  more than
willing to do with the past pecadillos in the "land acquisition" arena,
you'd accuse us of "covering up" or obstructionism" or ... whatever.  Sorry,
Bob - but this is just another form of NIMBYism, of "whitewashing" the
people and problems, of sweeping the problems under the rug and letting them
fester.  And I won't join you in that nonsense.

Walk softly,
Jim

Send and receive larger attachments with Hotmail Extra Storage.
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es