[at-l] SOBO Questions

> "I'm also curious about the dynamics of hiking SOBO.  There's so much
> finality and victory associated with the concept of hiking Katahdin... how
> does it change the character of the hike to do this first (not to mention
> all the miles to follow)? "

This I have some experience with. I did start on Katadin and but did not
make it all the way.

for me personally Springer or Oglethorpe even key west all an admirable
goal. I would not think of it as hiking to a special mountain. now don't get
me wrong Katadin is a wonderful mountain but I would not think of it as the
goal to hike to. if the trail ended in a valley just past the mountain would
it make the trail lesser? if you want to climb up Katadin as a victory...
just drive there. if you want to end your thruhike on Katadin then go north
bound. if you just want to thruhike it don't matter.

as for the rest of the trip. I found the whites (aside from all the people
there) to be more wonderful then Katadin and the two most wonderful places I
saw were the northern sections of Vermont and the 100 mile wilderness.

I felt personally it was a depressing thing to walk on such gorgeous
mountains slowly, slowly into the rolling green tunnel that is the AT near
my home. but that depression was removed completely when ever I saw a
wonderful meadow or a interesting tree. or met a interesting person and it
would slowly build ever mountain peak I hit with a 360 degree view of trees.

that said... if you want spectacular view after spectacular view the AT
might not be the trail for you. the AT is more beautiful in its microcosms
then in the massive mountains and wonderful views. this needs to be
supplanted with the fact that because you get limited view the few you do
get seem all that much more wonderful.

the reasons I hiked south bound were simple. I could start later in the
year, watch the changing leaves longer, met less people, I was doing it
"backwards" - in that I mean I love the sense of going against the grain. as
we all know though... the AT does go from Katadin to Springer... not the
other way around. after all it is a mega long trail not a game.

on that note.... I am going to go and hike on The Trail today with my pack..
I don't have work or school and it is the best weather I have seen in what
seems like forever.

everyone else should do the same

have fun

Wisperlight