[at-l] Trail History Clarification Requested

If I understood Jim Owen's post correctly, he is saying the AT was aquired
"very often by condemnation thus breaking faith with the people who welcomed
the trail in the first place."

Can anyone provide additional information on this?  If possible, with more
than an anectdote about a person who was "screwed" by the ATC and NPS, but
rather with information that addresses the degree to which the AT was
aquired this way.  My interest is getting a handle on the "very frequently"
part.

I am less interested in hearing about how the NPS condemded land over which
the trail passes in the Smokines and SNP and the BRP for reasons that had
had nothing to do with the AT, than I am interested in the kinds of
condemnations of land alluded to by Jim.

I have no doubt some have been screwed by the Trail and other entities in
the name of some greater good, real or perceived.  One of my favorite places
to walk and look for porkies around here is around a reservior in central MA
where you can wonder along and roads and celler holes representing entire
towns.  Those people got screwed by the thousands, but at least Boston has
water.  I have no doubt that people have been screwed specifically to form
National Parks, and the AT.

But have thousands  parcels of the AT been aquired by condemnation?
Hundreds?  Scores?  Or just a few.   And to put things in perspective, does
anyone have a notion to what percentage of Trail Miles these represent?

And of these condemnations, how how many were instigated or associated with
the AT project, thus breaking the faith of the people who welcomed the Trail
in the first place.   We all know about the Smokies and SNP, but that I
think that is a whole seperate kettle of fish.  Like Jim Owen, I have
learned to question what I read.  By doing so, please understand that I am
not saying he is wrong or challenging his manhood. He may well be right that
the AT was aquired "very often by condemnation thus breaking the faith with
the people who welcomed the Trail in the first place".  Perhaps there are
numbers and data to back this up?

Rick B

Try MSN Messenger 6.0 with integrated webcam functionality!
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_webcam