[at-l] Trail History Clarification Requested

There are two books on the ATC Ultimate Trailstore ("The Appalachian
National Scenic Trail: A Time to be Bold" and "Trail Years: A History of
the Appalachian Trail Conference") which address the history of the trail
but I have not read either so I cannot say whether either talks in this
kind of detail about how property was obtained. Robert Rubin was one of the
authors of the second book and is on this list. Perhaps Robert could tell
us whether that book talks about the use of eminent domain and how common
it was.

I too am interested in knowing how often is "very often". A lot of
generalizations get thrown around in these discussions by both sides. What
are the facts?