[at-l] Bears bags, fires, and leaving the trail

>1.  If you bear bag your food, what prevents squirrels/raccoons/mice/etc. and
>just from just climbing down the rope, chewing into the bag and eating  your
>food (or dumping it all over the ground, attracting bears)?

I don't know, but such creatures only do so, very rarely. Usually special metal
hanging poles are found where bears are a problem, which discourage all
creatures. The real worry is finding the special tree limb needed to hold your
goodies, but not so strong that a bear can just climb out and take your food,
which is what happened to me in Yosemite.

>" 2.  When it says, "no fires," that means you can't make a campfire but you
>can still use a stove (I hope)?

Yup. Even a wood-burning Zip Stove in most jurisdictions.

>3.  When it says "don't leave the trail, one bootprint can kill a fragile
>plant," you're still supposed to go bushwacking to make a cathole, right? Does
>that mean no stealth hammock camping and you're supposed to hang your hammock
>right at the edge of a tent site?

That's usually only a worry in fragile high mountain areas, where one rarely can
find a tree to dig cat holes behind anyway. Along most of the trail there are no
camping restrictions. You can tent or hammock anyplace. In fragile areas You
just have to use your best judgment.

Weary