[at-l] Questionable Point---

Original Post:

How much of your hiking stuff do you use in your everyday/all year life?
<<<

I rarely "do not" use my hiking equipment everyday: Except the stuff my ex
and her husband have. ;-)  My favorite stuff has come apart.  (see OT PS)
Especially the Alice packs that I use to use: I even donated the frame to a
VFD to carry hoses in to woods, etc.  I even used the expensive pack until I
found someone who needed it.  My stove went to a friend who regularly hunts.
But other things, including Nalgren bottles, I use a lot.  Right now my best
bottle is soaking after containing Kool-Aid lemonade.  My hiking underwear
is often men's swim trunks and I wear them a lot: Wear them under acceptable
long pants to work and if it's HOT, I can take off the pants and wear the
trunks on the city bus.  Especially those that look like shorts.  I don't
think I could do that with ordinary underwear. Or could I? :-)  My pots are
mostly (now) those stainless steel bacon dripping pots, kitchen utensil
pots, etc.  And I regularly cook in them.  And since they are handleless, I
use a pot gripper.  Though I am thinking about switching to a lightweight
vise-grip.  And my favorite dish is a stainless steel camping plate.  And my
bowls (which I've cooked in) are those stainless bowls you can get at
Wally-world and $1 stores.  I've even used my hiking staff when it's icey or
when I've twisted my knee.  And my sleeping bag is now a religious object --
it's holey.  I use it on the bed.  And I have a pair of EMT shears that I
bought out of a nursing/surgical clothes catalog.  I bought it for the
outdoors, but I use it almost everyday since it has a gripping area that can
be used like pliers, a bottle cap opener (I think that was meant for opening
something like non-beer bottles; I hope EMTs would not need it on the job
;-) ), and the tip can be used as a can opener.  I had a pedometer that I
rarely used since I bought it to get an idea of where I was and that does
not matter so much in home territory, but I "loaned" it to a friend who was
trying to lose weight.

William, The Turtle