[at-l] Follow-up to Camping Colors & LNT

But what about those who are offended by having people "sneak" up on them.
I like it better when I know someone is coming.  And sounds don't always
annouce that someone is coming.  Further, if I don't like a color, I can
move on.  Or shut my eys.

After all, the AT is only an illusion of wilderness.  Over half the
population of the US lies within a one or two day ride of the AT.  And many
places on the AT are within a short "As the crow flys" from houses,
businesses, and even manufacturing/mining facilities.

If you're on the AT (and some other trails) for wilderness, then you are
only fooling yourself (except maybe parts of Maine).  If you are on it to
soak in nature and for solitude, then you can find that.  It just means that
sometime, you have to move on. (see PS)

William, The Turtle

PS	I once pitched my tent near a stream -- a real babbling brook --
under some old trees.  Was really looking for some solitude.  Tired and beat
and sweaty.  And wanted some thinking time to myself.  Came out and finally
saw this "stealth" tent situated too close for me.  Unfortunately I was too
bushed to move on.  And it bugged me that they were nearby.  Luckily they
were more interested in each other and I could get away with vaguely waving
my hand at them.  But if I had saw them first, I would have moved on.