[at-l] AT-L license plates

In a message dated 8/8/2003 11:22:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
awkathome@earthlink.net writes:

> It is my understanding that, because of the budget crisis in
> NC, our esteemed Gov did NOT pass through the funds to these
> organizations as he should have done but rather kept the money to help
> balance the budget.
>
> With all due respect to the people who worked so hard to get this
> program put in place, if you want to help the AT, in my opinion, put a
> sticker on your car to advertise it and then send your money directly
> to whatever AT organization you choose. Apparently the government
> cannot be trusted to live up to its end of the bargain.
>
> -Arthur in Raleigh

        Thanks for your reply Arthur. I would have to check with Clark to see
what the details are on that. I assume the AT vanity tag is a set agreement
where people pay the fee and the distribution is pre-set. Whatever the
agreement contract says is the distribution is then distributed to the predetermined
agencies and fund recipients. I doubt very much the state could or would keep
the designee part of the fee for itself. That would obviously be illegal.

       My pique with the tag itself is that its overall cost is deterring
towards participation. I think a regular tag is about $40 for 4 years (rural). If
you estimate the $50 per annum fee for an AT plate, the cost would be $200
for 4 years. If the state sends $20 a year of this to the AT, their cut would
also be $20 a year (above the extra nominal $10 per year). I'm having trouble
understanding why they should take so much extra on top. This, to me, seems to
be a detriment towards encouraging AT tag sales.

        I assume their in-jail plate production cost is pennies per plate.
After bureaucratic processing and extra care, it is probably no more than a buck
or two cost per AT tag. So, where exactly does the extra $20 bucks on top
come from? I assume the state is offering this plate as a service for which it is
charging a business fee for. It then comes down to who wants to spend $50
bucks a year for a special AT plate to adorn their car. That price seems a little
steep for something designed to help causes...