[at-l] De-lurk and two newie questions

Kelly,

  I too am a section hiker and what I have to say is just what I have
observed.

  As far as the food goes, the Thrus eat what they want to eat when they want
to eat it.  By that I mean, it does them no good to carry Mac & Cheese and
then not eat it.  I have known some Thrus to eat a lot of junk food and toss in
a vitamin to keep things going.   So they consume what they are hungry for.  I
have personally witnessed some pretty elaborate meals and then I remember on
thru eating dry ramen noodles with the flavor pack sprinkled on top.   So like
the age you get the full range.

  As far as the shelters go, the last post on this is absolutely correct.
Most Thrus come to a shelter area and want to sleep.  When it is dark they are
"usually" already asleep.   The dorm atmosphere you are describing is the time
when they all first pull into the shelter area and are preparing dinner and
chatting.  To see this in full action go to Pogo Campsite,  I was in awe.   But
come dark they were all a sleep.  The only time I was kept awake was by some
boy scouts and some party goers... not the same group ;p    But a general rule
of thumb is that if it is towards a weekend and the shelter is close to the
road you will have some party goers eventually on your hike.    Most Thrus do
their partying when they hit a town....  On my last section hike we stopped at a
hostel...  Thrus came in, sang songs for us, told us tales of the trail,
shared some of their experiences and even shared some helpful hints.   I would
recommend that you at least give it a try,  there are some AWESOME people out
there on the trail as well as here on the list.

IMHO

Sparky!