[at-l] lightening question

#3 -- The following link is from something called the National Lightning
Safety Institute.
http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_pls/lst.html

#2 -- This is a page called Weather Eye and will give a good overview of
thunder and lightning
http://weathereye.kgan.com/cadet/lightning/

And #1...
This is from the National Weather Service at NOAA and is specifically aimed
at outdoors and has a lot of good links to info about lightning in general
http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/outdoors.htm

Comment: If you hear thunder, lightning has already occured.  Two, worry
about flash floods more than about lightning.  Even in the Appalachians,
floods kill more people than lightning -- except for wantabe Ben Franklins
;-)  And in the canyon country out West, they are quick and very deadly.
Always pre-plan for escape routes out.  And with groups, talk over with the
group what to do before you hit the trail.  You won't have time to argue or
discuss when you need to get out to safety.  And don't think safety means
getting back to where you came in, you may not have time.  Look over your
maps, beware of where you are and what's around you, etc.  And realize where
you can get out.  Flash floods can almost be as quick as lightning. (Note:
Most of the comments on canyon country came from a pro I talked to once and
various articles I have read over the years.  I have never hiked in canyons
during extreme weather.)

William, The Eastern Hungry Turtle

PS	I once was caught in a stone cabin on top of a mountain while the
cabin got hit by three lines of T'storms with lots of accompanying
lightning.  It was something watching it pop over us, under us, and
dead-level with us.  Thank God that none of it decided to come in the
window.  I like fried chicken and I understand that turtle tastes like
chicken ;-) but I don't think I want to be fried.