[at-l] Solitude

This is a very interesting thread. I started thinking about it when I was
putting up Chomp's CT journal the past week. I was surprised that he wasn't
enjoying the solo aspect of his hike - because he does so much solo hiking, I
just assumed that it wouldn't bother him. But I realize that what Ginny said
here is also true for me, and it put things in perspective. Doing a thru on the
AT is a whole different world from other long trails. I've done most of my
hiking with Toney, and although we rarely hiked together, we ended up together
occassionally throughout the day, and always at night. Evenings were always
great, as we shared our day, different thoughts we had, people we ran into,
wildlife seen - beautiful sights. I really like hiking alone - I don't like
having to worry about the pace I'm hiking at, or conforming to someone elses
agenda. But I don't think I'd be happy if I were hiking alone and had no one,
not even other hikers, to be with in the evening. Sharing the experience is an
important part of it. I know I can do the AT alone, because the odds of ending
up alone at night camping are slim, and the occassional times I do will be
managable. But hiking the PCT or the CDT - I don't think that's in my future,
unless I get as lucky as Ginny did in finding a partner who shares my love of
hiking.

Red

Quoting Jim and/or Ginny Owen <spiriteagle99@hotmail.com>:

 <snip> I only camped with other people 4 times in 18 days.  I was not happy.  I
found that that much solitude, having no one to share the highs and lows, no one
who knew who I was or cared, was not happiness.