[at-l] Trekking poles? Homemade

bamboo is viewed by many people as not a tree but an invasive destructive
grass.   bamboo does grow back VERY fast and normally needs to be
"contained" so I doubt there would be issues in cutting any of it down. (not
that I am condoning removing things from a state park. I thought you might
just be interested in this as it is a very re-grow-able resource.) I am sure
you can find some poor guy that has it growing in his lawn and he will not
care if you take a few stalks.  when I was real little a guy grew a few
small bamboo plants in his yard. with in a 5 year period they had taken over
his backyard and moved into his neighbors yard and started to destroy a
nearby parking lot for a local pool. apparently unless you mow it down a lot
it get to thick to really hold back...

me and my friends used to build things out of this bamboo using other
grasses as rope. it was really strong stuff.

Felix(or any of garden/plant/tree people)?  any knowledge of this
infestation of bamboo or was this just crazy suburbites talking smack?

Wisperlight

--orignal message ---
FWIW - I don't know what "Trapper Nelson's" is but if it is part of the
State Park you mention I would determine whether harvesting bamboo for
hiking poles was allowed before I made the trip. I know around here (NY) you
are not supposed to remove any material from state parks. No, they wouldn't
arrest me for taking a beach stone or fallen leaf home with me but if I
started cutting saplings on state land, they'd get upset. Which brings us
back to the thread about the LNT example we set for others to follow.

---