  ----- Original Message -----
  From: KellyGoVols@aol.com

  Here's a question for you guys:

  On one of my excursions here in Florida, I came across a beautiful Bamboo "hiking pole" that I fell in love with.  It was the right height and it's "handle" was of the perfect shape and size.  Of course, here in Florida, hiking poles are not a necessity.  However, it was good for poking at campfires, testing murky water for it's depth, etc.  I did a 14 mile "loop" walk, and didn't want to lose the pole, however, I didn't want to carry it. So, I left it by the side of the trail, with the intention of picking it up later.  After the 14 mile loop, my partner (not the boy) was soooo pissed that I wanted to walk another 1/2 mile down the trail where I left the "stick" to retrieve it.  I did get it back, and promptly lost it.  I think I left in the piece of junk Jaguar I sold.  Anyhoo, What's everyone's opinion of using this type of hiking pole?  Bamboo tends to weather well, I'm just concerned about it's sturdiness.  The reason I ask, is that these "poles" are readily available at a place called Trapper Nelson's on the Loxahatchee River, accessible by canoe only through Jonathan Dickinson State Park in Hobe Sound, Florida.  I reckon I could find myself a matching pair, if it's worth it.  Otherwise, I'll stick with my store bought sticks (Leki's).

  If I could get people's opinions on this it would be greatly appreciated.

  Oh, yeah, and to make this off topic, I can always paint them icky green to match the countertops in my kitchen. Or better yet, put some lingerie on them.  And then I could go eat ice cream.  Something I don't think I would do to my Leki's.

  GoVolsGoDean