[at-l] My First 3 day trip

Just got back this evening from my first of many backpacking adventures. For
the most part it was quite enjoyable.  We left Friday morning from Round Knob
in Greene County, Tennessee.  Our first night we stayed at a shelter north of
Alans Gap. I don't remember the name of the shelter because earlier in the day
I was scanning the Thru Hikers Guide and I have about 20 names running thru
my head. LOL  It was a nice stay.  There was some kids there from Davidson
College in NC doing the same route. Nice kids.....  Second day was a killer. Was
about 9 miles to the next shelter (springer I think) if not..... im sure
you'all know the name. Anyways..... when we hit Alans Gap (hwy 70 between
Greeneville & Ashville) my buddy & I decided we were gonna hike up the hwy a bit for a
pizza and a cold one. It ended up being 2 miles there.... 2 miles back and all
we had to show for it was a stupid Mt Dew.  Grrrrrrr the place was closed.
After allowing about 30 min for our feet to recover from asphalt burn (LOL) we
started on. With 9 miles under my belt that day, i was feeling a bit used up.
Next 4 miles was tough. I finally made it over Springer Mt ?? and up that dang
climb to the shelter. My buddies wife wasnt fairing too well and they fell
behind. After dropping my pack, I walked back down the mountain to find them.
Found them and she was about white eyed. I took her pack and climb that danged
mountain again. When the day was done, I had just over 15 miles.  Man I was BEAT.
 To make matters worse.....  I was headed to the privy and walked up on a
rattler in the middle of the trail. I think I squalled or something cause my
buddy came flying down the hill. That sucker was 5 ft long, 7 rattles on him. But
the snake has a greenish hue to him instead of brown. But my night was ruint.
I may have gotten to sleep by 1:00am.  Next day, we had 11 miles to hit Hot
Springs. After 5 miles I hit the wall hard. Being new to backpacking, I did a
few no-no's. First I consumed too much water. WAY too much. I was taking in just
over 100 oz of water a day which was causing me to sweat heavly. Plus I dont
think I had enough calories in my meals. We had lunch just before the bridge
that crosses the hwy to hot springs. Because of the state I was in, the last 2
miles was hell. When we started the decent down the cliffs overlooking the
French Broad River, my legs were shakey and I was walking sloppy.  Temp got up to
90 we later found out. But the breeze blowing up the rock face was like a
blast furnace. But I am proud to say....... I made it home. And thanks to the
river rafting folks at the bottom for allowing me to put my head under a cold
fauset (sp).  man that felt good. Then a couple 20 oz mt dew from the camp store
across the river..... we headed home.