[at-l] Too Much Water Warning

David educates us with a Yahoo article on
hyponatremia, the condition of low sodium frequently
caused by excessive water consumption. There are other
causes including excessive sweating, pituitary tumors,
adrenal gland tumors, medication adverse reactions and
strange things that people do to themselves that help
give me a job.

The article even hints at the fact that sports drinks
are not much protection from the disorder. I wish the
disorder was rare, as only reporting 250 cases
probably means that it isn't that much of a reportable
disorder for general medical literature (particularly
in South Africa where they have some really neat
things that sicken or kill you).

If there is a take-away message from the article, the
frequently practiced policy of "cameling" may not be a
good idea. There is some suspicion that our advice to
drink before you are thirsty is poor advice. The
advice might come around toward the use of moderation
in hydration and the use of sports beverages, along
with personal judgement.

I think this list reached that concensus about 3 years
ago.

OrangeBug